Thursday, September 3, 2009

Personal Landscape


This is the outline to my first assignment for metals class. It's a personal landscape project. Our workspace is 8 1/2 x 11 x 5... 5 is the width. The idea is to create depth using layers. From front on, this will (hopefully) be a good piece. I'm worried, though working with 3dimensional space that the work will be odd from the other angles. Although, this aspect might work well with the piece as well. For my landscape I chose the stone arch bridge. I took the design from a sketch I did but then abstracted it using style that I usually draw and doodle with. Luckily this style works well with the material that we have to use for this project which is small steel wire and rods. My original sketch had the Minneapolis skyline on the back left side of the sculpture but I like the more simple design and focus on the bridge. With this being my first piece I'll have ever welded, I'm sure it will be far from what this sketch is. I'm an artist who improvises, so this idea is bound to change.